1952 Porsche Glockler
Photos by Scott Williamson
The third Glockler-Porsche adopted the standard Porsche rear-engined layout with the rear suspension in its 'proper' trailing-arm configuration. Based on a standard Porsche cabriolet floorpan, Ramelow undertook the now-standing lightening modifications, removing everything that was nonessential and drilling out much of what was left. A 1,488 cc Porsche engine, again tuned with high compression to run on alcohol, made 86 horsepower.
Weidenhausen created the body from aluminum with a nose that bore close resemblance to the 356 Porsche but had semi-skirted rear wheels and cutaway rear corners similar to Glockler-Porsche 1 and 2. The standard two-seat interior layout of the cabriolet with the driver on the left was retained although very lightweight bucket seats were fabricated and installed. Its standard Porsche floorpan and two-seat interior brought a weight consequence even with Ramelow's extensive lightening efforts, and Glockler-Porsche Number 3 weighed some 1,133 lbs.
Like the earlier Glockler-Porsches, Number 3 had a full belly pan below the Porsche floorpan and had an air intake low on the nose for an oil cooler. Small air intakes on each side of the nose brought cool air to the front brakes. It was designed from the outset with a removable coupe roof with flush-fitting windshield, side windows and rear glass for minimal surface drag. The low windshield was integrated with the body. At various times both the AFM magnesium wheels and knockoff steel wheels were fitted; the steel wheels, like the rest of the Glockler-Porsches, were drilled for lightness and brake cooling.
Model Glockler Roadster
Engine Location Rear
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Chassis / Engine Numbers Shown
Engine Configuration F
Displacement 1488.00 cc | 90.8 cu in. | 1.5 L.
Horsepower 86.00 HP (63.3 KW)
HP / Liter 57.3 BHP / Liter
Seating Capacity 2
Suspension 4-wheel independent suspension with torsion bars
Walter Glockler was a successful Frankfurt auto dealer who obtained on of the first Volkswagen dealerships after the war and rode the VW's success to prosperity. An accomplished amateur motorcycle racer before the war, he took up auto racing as well and plunged into postwar racing with enthusiasm backed both by money and by the facilities and staff that his dealership supported. The Glockler shop was run by Hermann Ramelow who had worked on the prewar Adler sports cars, and in 1948 Ramelow created a mid-engined Hanomag-powered special for Glockler to race.